Mr. B.D. Pathinyaka
The Lifetime Achievement Award of 2020 for an Eminent Agriculturist of the country given by the Sri Lanka Korea Rural Development Administration Alumni Association
Mr. B.D. Pathinyaka born in late 1950s, in a village known as “Deiyandara”, in Matara district, he completed his primary education from the Ketiyape Primary School and later entered to the Richmond College, Galle for secondary education.
Later, he obtained B.Sc (Agric.) degree from the Faculty of Agriculture, University of Peradeniya, and subsequently joined the Department of Agriculture in 1980 to work as a rice breeder at the Rice Research Institute, Batalagoda. Later, he completed Master’s degree programme at the prestigious Colorado State University, USA
From 2000 to 2010, he was the Principal Scientist at the Rice Research Station, Ambalantota.
He has bred the first high yielding short-age Samba variety in Sri Lanka, Bg 358. and subsequently Bg 366, Bg 304, Bg 305, At 306, At 307, At 308 At 309 (an aromatic rice) At 311(Neeroga) and At 373 ( Suwanda samba) He has bagged several prestigious awards in recognition of his exemplary work during his tenure at the Department of Agriculture. To name a few,
- - Presidential award for outstanding research achievement - 1999
- - Presidential award for outstanding research achievement - 2004I
- - International Rice Research Institute award for the best Rice Scientist - 2006
- - The best Scientist of ASDA 2010
- - Presidential award for excellent contribution made to improve rice production in Sri Lanka – 2014
- - Dhakshina Abhimani award by the Southern Provincial Council - 2005